Introducing the Notes API
Productboard: Notes API
Since its inception, Productboard has empowered customer-driven product organizations to deliver the right features to customers, faster. Its native integrations with common customer feedback channels have allowed product teams to consolidate large volumes of feedback and identify trends around what users really need. But these days user feedback arrives through an ever-increasing number of channels. Even small teams commonly collect feedback from ten or more sources.
That’s why Productboard has released a new Notes API to allow product organizations to consolidate product ideas, requests, and feedback from any source.
Integrate with any source of user insights and product feedback:
- Sales tools: Collect feedback/requests relayed from sales that have been logged in a CRM like Salesforce or Hubspot.
- Support tools: Collect feedback/requests from support that have been discussed in customer support tickets. (Productboard already supports native integrations with Zendesk and Intercom.)
- Stakeholder feedback tools: Collect structured feature requests from colleagues via a form you create in Typeform, Jotform, or Survey Monkey/Momentive. Include required fields to ensure colleagues provide valuable context behind each feature request.
- User feedback tools: Consolidate qualitative feedback arriving directly from end users via NPS tools or in-app feature request widgets. Capture feedback submitted in user surveys related to feature betas, churn surveys, loss analysis, or explorations of user needs during product discovery.
- Messaging apps for teams: Easily push colleague feedback wherever it arises, such as in a conversation in the company’s chat tool. (Productboard already supports a native integration with Slack.)
- Design tools: Capture feedback left as comments on designs or prototypes in tools like Figma so you can associate them with related feature ideas.
The Notes API is a first step toward creating an open platform that supports seamless workflows between Productboard's product management system and the other digital solutions organizations use.
How integrations with the Notes API work
With the Notes API, product teams can build their own integrations to import ideas, requests, and feedback from any source as new notes on Productboard's Insights board.
Additional data fields supported:
- Tags: Additional data like tags can be included to ensure these notes are found by the right product managers in Productboard, or to pre-categorize them by topic, user need, or product area.
- User attribution: New notes can also be attributed to a user who provided that feedback via the user’s email address. This means that, later on, product teams will be able to follow up with the right users while conducting product discovery, or to notify users when a feature they requested goes live.
- Source: The note's source can be customized to clarify what system the note arrived from.
- Display URL: Each note's title can be linked back to a custom URL, representing the note's origin. This makes it easy for Productboard users to navigate from a note back to the original support ticket, survey result, or CRM record in the source system.
Companies putting the Notes API to use
As part of the Notes API beta program, a number of Productboard customers have already begun developing integrations on the Notes API for use by internal teams.
SumUp uses the Notes API to capture feedback from Salesforce Service Cloud
SumUp, the digital payments provider, receives customer feedback from many of its 2.5M merchants in 33 countries by email, phone, WhatsApp, among other sources. Making sense of all of this feedback, and tying it back to feature ideas was a challenge. SumUp adopted Productboard as a single source of truth for prioritization and roadmapping, but when their team heard about the Notes API they saw its promise in allowing them to consolidate a lot of their user feedback as well, starting with the inputs already captured in Salesforce Service Cloud.
Previously SumUp's product team had set up a simple workflow from Salesforce to Productboard that relied on email and was manually triggered once a week. With the Notes API, they can automatically push every Salesforce case that contains product feedback to Productboard as soon as it arrives. The day after the SumUp team started using the Notes API, they were already pushing hundreds of pieces of feedback to Productboard.
It took SumUp under an hour to set up their integration. Not long after they had a critical new system up and running to support newly-remote product teams working across several continents, preparing to launch three timely new products.
“With Productboard, we have a single picture of our big company initiatives, and now with the Notes API we have a single way to get feedback on the products we’re building.”
Read the full SumUp case study
Dixa uses the Notes API to capture feedback from Airtable and Jotform
At Dixa, “customer-loving” is core to their company identity and product offering — a customer service and engagement platform.
Dixa's product organization is committed to practicing this customer-driven approach themselves and have already begun using the Notes API to capture product inputs from customer success managers, success engineers, and sales executives via Airtable and Jotform, a survey tool.
Next up? As part of a partnership with Productboard, Dixa plans to unveil an integration that would allow any Dixa customer to flag product inputs in customer support tickets and capture them in Productboard.
Partners releasing new Productboard integrations
Partners of Productboard have also begun creating integrations for use by shared customers and the broader product management community.
Typeform has released a Productboard app for use with forms and surveys
With Productboard and Typeform, beautiful forms meet Product Excellence. Typeform has published a new Productboard app that product teams can use to collect insights from colleagues and customers.
The app makes it easy to funnel customer survey results to the product team — such as quarterly surveys or churn reports managed by customer success, or loss analysis compiled by marketing or sales. These often provide invaluable feedback on pain points, product gaps, and dealbreakers that contribute to customer churn.
Typeform can also be used to provide structure to feature requests submitted by colleagues. Product teams can set up forms to intake these requests, requiring colleages to provide additional context such as underlying need, the importance of the request, and additional information on the type of customer making the request.
One more popular use for Typeform by product managers is to survey users for more information on needs they've expressed in the past, or to validate that the product team has designed a new feature in the optimal way. This information too can now be captured in Productboard.
Tray.io is introducing a Productboard connector to enable powerful workflows
Tray.io’s General Automation Platform now has a new Productboard connector allowing users to integrate Productboard with any applications in their tech stack using the Tray Platform’s visual workflow builder.
The Tray Platform has hundreds of pre-built connectors, many of which help users consolidate and take action on valuable product insights and feedback from colleagues and customers. That includes Salesforce, Salesforce Service Cloud, Hubspot, Gong.io, Airtable, Drift, Freshsales, G2 Crowd, Gainsight, Twitter, and Google Sheets.
For example, the automation workflow above allows you to connect Salesforce to Productboard. When a win/loss analysis is recorded on an Opportunity record on Salesforce, the record is automatically sent to Productboard. This feedback from the field is incredibly valuable for product managers.
Frame.ai is unveiling a Productboard integration to capture auto-categorized user insights
Frame AI helps CX leaders operationalize Voice of the Customer programs by collating customer conversations across many sources and automatically analyzing them with artificial intelligence.
One common Frame AI use case is to help CX teams surface common requests and pain points with product teams. With the Frame-Productboard integration, tickets and conversations with a designated tag applied can automatically be sent into Productboard — tags, content, and embedded graphics included. It's also possible to push Frame visualizations representing recent trends relevant to the product team into Productboard.
By surfacing actionable insights for the product team in this way, organizations can multiply the value of their existing investments in solutions like Zendesk, Intercom, Slack, and survey tools.
Get started with the Notes API
The Notes API is available to Productboard customers on the Team plan and above. To get started, workspace admins can generate a developer token from the Integrations page in workspace settings and refer to the Notes API Reference.
Partner with us
Would your customers benefit from capturing valuable product inputs from your solution by sending them to Productboard? Partner with us! Reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org.